Our Relational Therapy is based primarily on Relational Life Therapy pioneered by Terry Real.
Breaking the Rules of Traditional Relational Therapy
Designed to bring deep healing and swift changes that last
You can’t connect to a relationship if you can’t connect to a person, and you can’t connect to a person if you can’t connect to yourself. RLT first reconnects people to themselves—their feelings, desires, and needs—and then reconnects them to their relationships.
What makes RLT unique is…
How is this couples therapy different from what I've tried before?
Many couples go to therapy and find that it is one gripe session after another without any real progress being made toward their goals. Often couples therapy does not get to the "how-to's" of relational repair.
Our couples therapy is more directive than other approaches and focuses on building the skills that have been shown to be effective in repairing damaged relationships.
What is a couples therapy session usually like?
Once a thorough history is taken, emphasis is placed on clarifying treatment goals. Once goals are clarified, emphasis is placed on learning and developing skills that the couple will use between sessions to repair their relationship. The next session will include a review of the couple's experience of using the tools. Any obstacles or stuck points will be used for coaching and clarification and the process will generally repeat.
How long do sessions usually last?
Generally the length of each session and the number of sessions is determined with each couple based on a variety of factors including the level of crisis, time and budget. The initial session is scheduled on a Friday and lasts 2 hours ($300) and the following session are about a 2 hours biweekly ($300).
What sorts of skills and tools are likely to be discussed?
In addition to a thorough history and a clarification of goals, some of the tools and skills discussed include the following:
- The most important keys to successful relational repair
- How to have the best chance win your spouse's heart back
- How to help your spouse feel loved
- How to communicate effectively without blame and have the best chance for results
- How to stop having the same arguments over and over
- How to stay on topic during a disagreement
- How to have a good complaint department
- What to do when you feel overheated
- Recognize what you need to feel loved
- Better understand our destructive cycle and how to break out of it
- How to recover from an extra-marital affair
- What to do when my spouse says he/she does not love me anymore
- How to request what you need from your spouse
- How to respond when your spouse makes a request
- Common ways relationships get stuck and how to get out of them
- How to repair your relationship even if your spouse does not want to
What is your experience and success rate with couples who are in crisis?
Michael has many years experience in working with couples in a variety of settings. His own marriage of over 25 years has been a proving ground of his approach, and he has learned much from the many trials and struggles of any marriage. Our approach has been shaped largely by the work of Pia Mellody (Post Induction Therapy), Terry Real (Relational Life Therapy), and others in the field of relational repair. (The Couples Institute, Esther Perel)
What do I need to do go get started?
Please call our office to schedule an appointment at 501-701-0088 or you can click the link below to schedule an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you!